Amityville Horror House - Amityville NY
Amityville NY is a small village in the Town of Babylon within Suffolk County New York. The population is just shy of 10,000 residents. Amityville became best known as the setting of the 1977 novel "The Amityville Horror" by Jay Anson. The book was later turned into a series of films between 1979 and 2005. The story of "Amityville Horror" is traced back to a real life murder case in Amityville in 1974.
The DeFeos purchased the home at 112 Ocean Avenue in 1965. On Nov 14 1974 Ronald J. Butch DeFeo Jr., age 23, shot and killed six (6) members of his family at 112 Ocean Avenue, his parents Ronald Sr. (43) , Louise (42) , and his siblings John Matthew (9), Mark (12), Dawn (18), and Allison (13) with a .35 caliber Marlin rifle.
Ronald DeFeo was taken into custody for his own protection after suggesting to police officers at the scene of the crime that the killings had been carried out by a mob hit man named Tony Mazzeo. However, an interview with DeFeo at the station soon exposed serious inconsistencies in his version of events. The following day DeFeo confessed to carrying out the killings. Mazzeo had an alibi for his whereabouts the night of the murders.
Ronald Defeos trial began on Oct 14 1975. On Nov 21 1975 DeFeo was found guilty on six counts of 2nd-degree murder. On Dec 4, 1975 Ronald DeFeo, Jr. was sentenced to six (6) concurrent sentences of 25 years to life. DeFeo is incarcerated at Green Haven
On Dec 18 1975 George and Kathy Lutz purchased the home for $80,000 and moved their family of three (3) children into the house. In Feb 1976 just 28 days after moving in, they fled the home, claiming to have been terrorized by paranormal phenomena.
The 1925 constructed house featured in the novel and movies still exists, but has been renovated and the address has been changed from 112 Ocean Avenue to 108 Ocean Avenue. In May 2010 the house was put on the real estate market for $1.15 million. It sold in September 2010 for $950,000
George & Kathy Lutz claimed the house was haunted by demons or evil spirits. The Lutzs signed a book deal and sold the rights to the tale for $4 million to film-maker Jay Anson. Their story about the events that took place in the house began to unravel.
The Lutz family never called the police during the 28-day stay in the house. A garage sale took place at the home the day after George claimed to have fled out of fear. George Lutz had taken out a mortgage, which was fully paid off by the profits from the horror story.
"The Amityville Horror," suspicious claims, actions and admissions on the part of George Lutz himself, supporting statements from other people involved in this case, and eventually a full disclosure by Ronald DeFeo's lawyer, William Weber, that this entire charade was indeed a fabrication.
The Lutz's later recanted most of their statements and experiences. Kathy and George Lutz divorced in the late 1980's. Kathy Lutz died in 2004 and George died in 2006.
The next owners of the property, Jim and Barbara Cromarty, resided in the home for 10 years stated that they never experienced anything out of the ordinary.
Execution Island - Long Island NY
Located in Long Island Sound, this tiny deserted island contains lots of history. The name "Execution Island" originates from several folklore legends. There are many versions of the same stories. None of these legends have solid historical evidence to support them. It's interesting to note that some of these legends have been circulating since the birth of our nation.
It has been said that the name of the rock reef was noted on British charts in the 18th century as "Executioners Rock", because the rock "executed" so many ships.
A popular legend tells that the British would capture American rebels from the
The island also became famous due to a serial killer named Carl Panzram. Today the island is under the authority of the US Coast Guard and there is no public access.
Execution Island Lighthouse
Commissioned in 1847 completed in 1849, but not lit until 1850, remained in use until 1979. In 2009 the lighthouse was transferred to a group called "Historically Significant Structures Inc." based out of Philadelphia, which they will partner with the Science Museum of Long island to make sure the lighthouse is preserved.
Hart Island - Long Island NY
This is a small island at the western end of Long Island. It's approximately one mile long and a quarter-mile wide. The island was purchased by the City of New York in 1869 for $75,000
Hart Island has served many purposes, from a workhouse, hospital, prison, Civil War internment camp, reformatory and a "Nike" Missile base. The island currently serves as the city's potter's field and is operated by the New YorkDepartment of Corrections.
At different time the New York Department of Corrections used the island for a prison. During the Civil War Hart island was used as a prisoner of war camp for four months in 1865. 3,413 captured Confederate soldiers were housed here. 235 of those soldiers died in the encampment, their remains and the remains of some Union soldiers were moved to a cemetery in Brooklyn in 1941.
The cemetery is 101 acres and is the largest tax-payer funded cemetery in the US. In 1977 the island was vandalized and many burial records were destroyed by a fire. The remaining records were transferred to the Municipal Archives in Manhattan. There are more than 850,000 dead buried here, approximately 2,000 per year. Of this 850,000 one-third of them are infants and stillborn babies. In 2005 there were 1,419 burials on Hart's Island, 826 adults, 546 infants and still-borns and 47 dismembered body parts.
The dead are buried in trenches, babies are placed in coffins of various sizes and are stacked 5 coffins high and 20 across. Adults are placed in larger pine boxes according to size and are stacked 3 high and 2 across. The archives indicate that babies and adults were buried together in mass graves up until 1913. The trenches were then separated in order to make it easier for disinterment of adults.
Ceremonies have not been conducted at the burial site since the 1950's and there are no individual grave markers. The one exception is the first child that died of AIDS in New York, who is buried in isolation. The grave is marker with SP (special child) B1 (baby 1) 1985.
In the past, the trenches were re-used after 25-50 years, allowing time for sufficient decomposition of the remains. Presently the old buildings are being demolished to make room for new burials.
Today, these mass burials are conducted by Riker's Island inmates. Those recently interred on Hart Island are not necessarily homeless, but rather people who could not afford the expense of private burial or who were unclaimed by relatives of their death. About 50% of the burials are children (under age 5) who are identified and died in New York City hospitals. The mother's signed for a "city burial".
In March 2008 50,000 burial records from 1985-2007 were released to the public, In June 2008 additional records were released for the time period of 1977-1984.
In 2009 an investigation into the handling of the infants was opened in response to a criminal complaint made to the New York State Attorney General's Office.
Access to Hart's Island is restricted. The New York Department of Corrections schedules visits with family who can show proof that a relative is buried on Hart Island. There is no general public access and news media is not allowed at anytime.
Since this is restricted, investigating is out. However I can only image what activity they must have going on !!
The Headless Horseman
"Legend of Sleepy Hollow"
This is a short story written by Washington Irving. The story was written by Irving while he was living in Birmingham England and was published in 1820. The story is set in circa 1790 in a Dutch settlement of Tarrytown NY called Sleepy Hollow.
Ichabod Crane, a
Ichabod mysteriously disappears from town, leaving Katrina to marry "Brom Bones". Oddly "Brom Bones" who looks exceedingly knowing whenever the story of Ichabod was told. Although the nature of the Headless Horseman is left open to interpretation, the story implies that the Horseman was really "Brom Bones" in disguise.
Old Dutch Church & Burial Ground - Sleepy Hollow Cemetery
National Historical Register 1966
Old Dutch Church (Dutch Reformed Church)
The church was constructed in 1685 and sits on a 3-acre parcel of land which contains a burial ground. The Old Dutch Church Burial Ground is surrounded by the 90 acre Sleepy Hollow Cemetery. Frederick Philipse, who constructed the church, and his family
Portsmouth Harbor Lighthouse
National Historical Register 2009
In the 1600s, the British established Fort William and Mary on New Castle Island to defend the entrance to the Piscataqua River and Portsmouth Harbor. This fort was known as The Castle.
In 1771, Royal Governor
On December 13, 1774, Paul Revere rode from Boston to Portsmouth to notify patriots of an imminent seizure of the stores at Fort William and Mary. Several hundred men defended the fort, No deaths occurred.
Americans rebuilt the fort starting in 1800 and renamed it Fort Constitution.
While Fort Constitution was under construction, a new
In 1791 the Portsmouth Harbor Lighthouse was transferred to the federal government. In 1851 the tower was shortened to fifty-five feet. On December 29, 1854, a fourth-order Fresnel lens replaced the array of lamps and reflectors. A fourth-order lens remains active in the tower today, showing a fixed green light produced by an acrylic cylinder that surrounds the lens. The characteristic has been green since 1941.
As only one lamp was used inside the lens, a significant savings in oil was realized. Prior to the change, 302.21gallons had been consumed in six months, and afterward only 39.93 were needed over the same amount of time. The old and decayed lighthouse was replaced in 1877 by a cast-iron tower lined with brick. The iron tower was originally painted white, as its predecessor had been, but in 1887 its daymark was changed to brown. The tower remained brown until it was again painted white in 1902.
A bell house was built at the base of the tower in 1896, allowing a 1,048-pound bell to be tolled once every ten seconds. As early as 1886, the keeper had been given a hand bell to be rung in answer to a vessels signal. A foghorn replaced the bell in 1972 and kept the same signature as the bell: a single blast every ten seconds.
Elson Small served from 1946 to 1948 as the last full-time keeper of Portsmouth Harbor Light, which had been electrified in 1934. Connie Small, who passed away at the age of 103 in 2005, wrote a book in 1986 entitled The Lighthouse Keepers Wife, which chronicles her life at the lighthouses.
Coast Guard personnel from the discontinued lifesaving station on nearby
To be investigated
The term Black Dahlia was a nickname given to Elizabeth Short (1924-1947) who was the victim of a gruesome and highly-publicized murder. Short was found mutilated; her body was sliced in half at the waist on Jan 15 1947 in Leimert Park, Los Angeles, California. Her remains had been left on a vacant lot. Short's mutilated body was severed at the waist and completely drained of blood. Her face had been slashed from the corners of her mouth toward her ears, creating an effect called the Glasgow smile. The body had been washed and cleaned and had been "posed" with her hands over her head and her elbows bent at right angles. Her murder remains unsolved. Short was born in the greater Boston Mass, and lived in Medford Mass., with her four (4) sisters and parents. He father built
UPDATED: Feb 2013
A former Los Angeles Police Department detective who believes his father killed the "Black Dahlia" 66 years ago claims a cadaver dog's recent search of his old Hollywood home uncovered the scent of human decomposition.
Author Steve Hodel made the claim in his 2003 book, "Black Dahlia Avenger," that his father, Los Angeles doctor George Hill Hodel, committed the murder. Hodel has said he believes his father killed Short at the historic "Sowden House" in Hollywood where the family lived at the time.
Hodel said Friday that a November search of the home by a cadaver dog, named "Buster," and a retired police sergeant turned up the scent of human decomposition. Samples from the basement's dirt floor were reportedly taken for testing.
George Hodel was always considered a person of interest in the case, one of the oldest and most celebrated unsolved murders in Los Angeles history. But over the years, more than 50 people have confessed to the grisly crime and new tips come in whenever the case is in the news. Hodel abruptly relocated his family to Asia before authorities could investigate him any further. He died in 1991.
The name D.B. Cooper was the name used to identify the man who hijacked a 727 aircraft in the airspace between Portland, Oregon and Seattle, Washington on Nov 24 1971. He extorted $200,000 in ransom and parachuted to an unknown fate. An extensive search was conducted and an FBI investigation was conducted. The perpetrator was never located or positively identified and the money was never recovered. The FBI believes the Cooper didnt survive the risky jump.
The Crime :
On Nov 24 1971 the suspect purchased a one-way airline ticket to Seattle, Washington under the name Dan Cooper at the Portland International Airport in Portland Oregon. The flight was 1/3 full and took off at 250PM. Cooper passed a note to flight attendant Florence Schaffner indicating he had a bomb in his briefcase. Cooper dictated his demands $200,000, four (4) parachutes, and a fuel truck standing by upon arrival in Seattle.
The pilot William Scott contacted Seattle-Tacoma Airport which informed local and federal authorities.
The 36-passengers were informed of a minor mechanical difficulty. The president of the airline authorized the payment of the ransom, and ordered all employees to cooperate.
The FBI assembled the ransom money, all with serial numbers beginning with L, which was issued by the Federal Reserve Bank in San Francisco. All currency had a Series 1969-C designation.
At 524PM all of Coopers demands had been met. At 539PM the airplane landed at Seattle-Tacoma Airport, refueled, ransom money handed over, and all passengers and two flight attendants were released.
At 740PM the plane took off from Seattle-Tacoma airport. At 800PM a light in the cockpit indicated that rear stairs were opened, at 813PM a sudden upward movement occurred. The plane landed at 1015PM in Reno, Nevada and Cooper was no longer onboard.
The FBI recovered 66 unidentified fingerprints, Coopers black tie and tie clip from the airplane. An extensive search was performed to no avail.
In 1971 the FBI publicly released the serial numbers of the ransom money in hopes the money would turn up. The airline also offered an additional 15% reward for any money recovered.
In 1978 a placard containing instructions for lowering the air stairs of a 727 was located and verified to have been from the hijacked airliner.
In 1980 an 8-yr old boy uncovered three (3) packets of the ransom cash, significantly disintegrated, but still bundled in rubber bands. The FBI confirmed the money was from the ransom money.
In 2007 the FBI announced it had obtained a partial DNA profile obtained from Coopers clip-on tie which was left behind on the plane. Since 1971 the FBI has processed thousands of suspects, most of who have been ruled out.
In July 2011 an FBI spokesman told a British newspaper that the FBI was investigating a new suspect.
In August 2011 Marla Cooper came forward as the source of the new information. She suggested that her uncle, Lynn Doyle Cooper who died in 1999, as the new suspect in the case.
She provided a guitar strap her uncle had made for fingerprint and DNA analysis. On Aug 9 2011 the FBI stated the fingerprints and DNA was not a match. The FBI added that it has not come up with anything that is inconsistent with Marla Coopers story, and is still investigating.
James R. Hoffa 1913-1982
Hoffa was involved with the International Brotherhood of Teamsters (IBT) union as an organizer from 1932 to 1975. By 1952 Hoffa had risen to national vice-president of the IBT, which was well on its way of becoming the most powerful single union in the United States. Hoffa served as General President from 1958-1971.
Hoffa had been convicted of jury tampering, attempted bribery and fraud in 1964. He was sent to prison in 1967 and sentenced to serve 13 years, but only served 5 years, after his sentence was commuted.
In 1971 Hoffa resigned as the IBT president, an action that was part of the sentence being commuted by President Richard Nixon, to facilitate his release that year. Hoffa was banned from union activities until 1980.
Hoffa was last seen after 245PM on July 30, 1975, in the parking lot of outside of Machus Red Fox, a Detroit suburban restaurant. Hoffa had told other that he was meeting two mafia leaders Anthony Giacalone and Anthony Provenzano. When Hoffa didnt return home that night, his wife reported him missing to the police. Hoffas vehicle was located at the restaurant but no sign of Hoffa or any signs of what may have happened. Giacalone and Provenzano were found to not have been near that restaurant that day and had no meeting scheduled with Hoffa.
Hoffa was declared dead by absentia on July 30, 1982. His body was never found and still remains unsolved.
In 2001, the FBI matched DNA from Hoffa's hairtaken from a brushwith a strand of hair found in a 1975 Mercury Marquis Brougham driven by longtime friend Charles "Chuckie" O'Brien on July 30, 1975. Police and Hoffa's family had long believed O'Brien played a role in Hoffa's disappearance. O'Brien, however, had previously denied ever being involved in Hoffa's disappearance or that Hoffa had ever taken a ride in his 1975 Mercury Marquis Brougham.
In January 2013, reputed gangster, Tony Zerilli, offered that Hoffa was buried in a shallow grave with the plan that Hoffa's remains would be moved to a second location. Zerilli contends, however, that these plans were abandoned, and Hoffa's remains lay in a field in northern Oakland County not far from the restaurant at which he was last seen. Zerilli, however, denied any responsiblity or association with Hoffa's disappearance. The FBI declined to comment when asked if Zerilli's claims were credible.
Earhart was reported missing on July 2 1937. Earhart was scheduled for a fuel stop on Howland Island, in the Pacific Ocean, while conducting her 1937 flight around the world. On July 2 1937 Earhart and her co-pilot Fred Noonan took off from Lae, New Guinea. Their radio transmissions were picked up on Howland Island when the aircraft was coming closer, but they were never seen again. On Jan 5 1939 Earhart was declared legally dead.
The U.S. Coast Guard cutter Itasca was stationed at Howland Island to communicate with Earheart and guide them to the island.
The Itasca received strong and clear voice transmissions from Earhart, but she was unable to hear the ships responses.
At 742AM Earhart radioed We must be on you, but cannot see you but gas is running low. Have been unable to reach you by radio.
At 758AM Earhart radioed that she couldnt hear the Itasca and asked them to send voice signals so she could get a better bearing. The 758AM radio transmission was reported by the Itasca as the loudest, indicating Earhart was close-by.
Earharts last transmission was at 843AM.
The search for Earharts plane began an hour after her last message was recorded. The U.S. Coast Guard, the U.S. Navy searched for many days. The search effort was called off on July 19 1937. No evidence was ever found.
Crash & Sink Theory: The plane ran out of fuel and crashed into the ocean and sank.
Gardener Island Theory: The plane landed on Gardner Island, 350 miles southeast of Howland Island.
In 1940 Gerald Gallagher, a British colonial officer and licensed pilot, radioed his superiors to inform them that he had found a skeleton, possibly a woman and along with an old-fashioned sextant box on Gardner Island in the southeast corner. He then was ordered to send the remains to Fiji where in 1941 British colonial authorities took detailed measurements of the bones and concluded they were bones of a male 5ft 5 in tall. In 1998 analysis of the measurements by forensic anthropologists indicated the skeleton had belonged to a tall, white woman and of northern European ancestry. The remains has since disappeared.
According to a book written by Thomas E Divine, Eyewitness: The Ameila Earhart Incident includes a letter from a daughter of a Japanese police official, who claimed her father was responsible for Earharts execution. US Marine Robert Wallack claimed her and other US soldiers opened a safe on Saipan and found Earharts briefcase. Former US Marine Earskin Nabers claimed that while serving as a wireless operator in Saipan in 1944, he decoded a message from naval officials which said Earharts aircraft had been found at Aslito Airfield, and was later ordered to guard the aircraft, and witnessed it destruction.
In 1990 the TV show Unsolved Mysteries broadcast an interview with a Saipanese woman who claimed to have witnessed Earhart and Noonans execution by Japanese soldiers. No independent confirmation or support has ever emerged for any of these claims. Alleged photos of Earhart during her captivity have been identified as either fraudulent or having been taken before her final flight.
In 2006 The National Geographic Channel aired a series about the claim that Earhart survived the world flight, moved to New Jersey, changed her name, remarried and became known as Irene Craigmile Bolam. This claim was originally raised in the book Ameilia Earhart Lives (1970) By author Joe Klaas, based on research of Major Joseph Gervais. Irene Bolam who had been a banker in New York during the 1940s denied being Earhart and filed a $1.5 million lawsuit in damages. The books publisher withdrew the book from the market shortly after it was released and made an out of court settlement with Ms Bolam.
In 2009 an Earhart relative claimed the pair died in Japanese custody, citing an unnamed witness including Japanese troops and Saipan natives. He claimed that the Japanese cut the valuable Lockheed aircraft into scrap and threw the pieces into the ocean.
In 2010 a recent finding on Howland Island raised the question; did Earhart land? An investigation of the island turned up a bone fragment, pocket knife, pre-WWII bottle, makeup kit, and remains of small fires that once burned. DNA testing was conducted on the bone fragment in March 2011 by scientists at the University of Oklahoma, the results were inconclusive.
This day beacon (no light) was named in her honor. The beacon was rebuilt in the 1960s by the U.S. Coast Guard. In 2000 the Earhart Light was reported to be crumbling and hasnt been painted in decades.
Howland Island - Pacific Ocean
The island is located in the Pacific Ocean just north of the Equator. Today the 455-acre island and the 32,074-acres of submerged land, is now known as The Howland Island National Wildlife Refuge. In 1822 Capt George B. Worth from the Nantucket Mass. whaleship "Oeno" sighted the island and called it "Worth Island".
In 1842 Daniel MacKenzie from the whaler "Minera Smith" was unaware of Worth's sighting when he charted the island in 1828 and named it after his ships owners on Dec 1 1828.
Howland Island was at last named after a lookout who sighted the island from the whaleship "Isabella" from New Bedford Mass. on Sept 9 1842.
n 1857 the US Government took possession of the island. Public entry to the island is by special permit from the US Fish and Wildlife Service, and is limited to scientists and educators.
In 1935-1942 A brief attempt was made to colonize the island, the colony was named Itascatown. Small houses were constructed along with tents on the beach area. The residents conducted science experiments while living on the island. The construction of a landing strip began with these residents.
On July 2 1937, Amelia Earhart left New Guinea, heading to Howland Island. Amalia never arrived, and the mystery of her disappearance remains unsolved.
On Dec 9 1941 Howland Island was bombed by the Japanese, killing two residents. The bombing damaged the runway. On Dec 10 1941 a Japanese submarine shelled what was left of the colony. The two survivors were evacuated by the US Navy on Jan 31 1942. The US Marines occupied Howland Island from Sept 1943 until May 1944.
Gold Brook Bridge (Emilys Bridge)
The Gold Brook Bridge is a covered bridge located in the town of Stowe Vermont. The bridge has become known as Emilys Bridge, due an alleged haunted by a girl named Emily. There are several versions as to how Emily died, none of which have been historically proven. Additionally there is no evidence the Emily ever existed. The first mention of the bridge being haunted came after 1968 when
The reports of activity range; from scratches appearing on vehicles that have parked on the bridge, strange noises, footsteps and a girl screaming. Its
State Hospitals vs. State Schools
State hospitals were for the mentally ill, while state schools were institutions for the mentally defective. The term State School is a misnomer, as they did not involve any sort of education.
Camp Myles Standish (1942-1946)
Camp Myles Standish opened in the fall of 1942, and initially served as a staging area for soldiers shipping out of the Boston and New York ports. A staging area was always an army base, and it was a place where soldiers gathered right before they were sent out. At a staging area, soldiers would undergo medical
In its prime the 1,620-acre camp contained 35 miles of paved roads, 10 miles of railroad tracks and almost 1500 structures including more than 600 barracks 500 to 700 civilian workers and 39,000 soldiers at any given time.
During WW-II, 51,000 Italian soldiers were brought to the United States as co-belligerents, most of who were captured in North Africa. On March 29, 1944, 500 Italian soldiers arrived at Camp Myles Standish; they did not have the run of the camp. The Italians needed passes to leave camp, and they had G.I. escorts when outside of Myles Standish, however security was poor. At the end of the war, all the Italian soldiers were sent back to Italy, in accordance with the Geneva Convention.
Unlike the Italians, the Germans who first arrived at Camp Myles Standish in 1945 were considered prisoners of war. The Germans were under guard 24 hours per day, were separated in camp from all the other troops, were subject to frequent inspection, and had to march back and forth from meals. Germans were made to wear dark blue denim pants and a dark blue
Beginning in 1945, the German and Italian soldiers were sent back to their respective countries. The civilians at Camp Myles Standish were all laid off one day, and gradually the army left. In total, about 4,000 Italian soldiers and 3,000 German soldiers stayed at Camp Myles Standish throughout WW-II. The camp was officially decommissioned on Jan. 11, 1946.
Camp Myles Standish was eventually turned over to the state for $1, in 1959 the site became the location of the Paul A. Dever School.
Paul A. Dever School (1959-1991)
The Paul A. Dever School was established in 1959 as a state school for the mentally disabled. The campus was originally named Myles Standish State School it was renamed Paul A. Dever School in honor of the 58th Massachusetts Governor Paul A. Dever (1953-1958) The campus is about 1,200 acres and originally consisted of 15 L-Shaped dormitory buildings connected by about 1.5 miles of tunnels along with recreational sites. Much of the facility closed in 1991 due to lawsuits over
In 2007 two bodies were found inside the tunnels. One body was identified as a prisoner of war from the 1950's. The other was never identified.
From 2009 to present there has been a rash of arson fires to many of the buildings. Some of the buildings have burned down while others have suffered structural damage. There are 3 cemeteries on the property; one is a family cemetery.
On Nov 16 2011 The property once known as Paul A. Dever State School is on its way to becoming a part of the citys premier industrial park. The Taunton City Council voted to incorporate the final phases of the Myles Standish Industrial Park. The purchase, for $1, of 170 acres of state-owned Dever land, it also sets in motion a mechanism by which to help pay cleaning up the contaminated and crumbling site. The city council agreed to provide just over 25 acres for future public recreational use, such as soccer and baseball fields.
This is state property and currently houses a few state government agencies. It is patrolled by the Mass State Police and a private security company. It is posted for no trespassing which is strictly enforced.
There is a lot of activity reported. Strange lights and cries for help. An apparition of a child between 13-15 years of age has been reported near the playground.
Convicted Serial Killer Jane Toppan
Jane Toppan (1857-1938) was born Honora Kelley to Bridget and Peter Kelly. Bridget died of consumption when Honora was very young. Peter was an alcoholic and had violent outburst. Peter eventually went insane while working at a tailors shop and was institutionalized for sewing his eyelids shut. Honora had an older sister named Nellie, who went violently insane in her 20s and was also institutionalized.
In 1863 Peter Kelley begged the Boston Female Asylum to take the his two youngest daughters 6-year old Honora and 8- year old Delia Josephine. It was decided the children had been subjected to abuse and neglect and they were allowed to remain at the asylum. Delia remained in the Boston Asylum until 1868 when she was placed as a servant in Athol NY at age 12. Later she turned to prostitution and died of alcoholism.
In 1864 Honora became an indentured servant to Mrs. Ann C Toppan of Lowell Massachusetts by the Boston Female Asylum. Honora was never formally
In 1874 Jane was released of her duties at the Toppan Family and received a $50 stipend. Although she was now released Jane remained with the Toppan Family for a decade and worked for her foster sister Elizabeth Brigham after Mrs. Toppan died.
In 1885 Jane moved out of the Brigham household for reasons unknown. Jane began nursing training at Bostons Cambridge Hospital. She became quite popular with the patients and acquired the nickname Jolly Jane, however her
In 1888 Doctors at the Cambridge Hospital gave Toppan glowing recommendation to further her nursing training at Massachusetts General Hospital.
In 1889 Toppan was recommended for a job at Massachusetts General Hospital. There she claimed several more victims before being fired a year later. She then entered in private nursing. Her killing spree was running rampant, in 1895 she poisoned and killed her landlord Isreal Dunham and in 1897 his wife, Lovey Dunham as well. In 1899 she poisoned and killed her foster sister Elizabeth while at her
In 1901 Toppan lived with Alden Davis and his family in Bourne Massachusetts. She was hired to take care of Mr. Davis because his wife has died. Mrs. Davis was also a victim of Toppan and within a few weeks Toppan has killed Mr. Davis and his two daughters. The surviving members of Davis's family requested a toxicology exam on Mr. Davis's youngest daughter. The report indicated she had been poisoned. Police began to look at Toppan as a suspect.
On Oct 26 1901 Toppan was arrested and charged with 4 counts of murder. On March 31 1902 Toppan confessed to eleven (11) murders and on June 23 1902 was found "not guilty by reason of insanity" and was committed for life in the Taunton State Hospital. While at Taunton State Hospital she was thought to have set fires to the main building more than once.
In 1902, After the trial, a letter was discovered that Toppan had sent to her defense lawyer (James S Murphy) claiming she had killed more than thirty-one (31) people. In an attempt to show that she was not without feeling, Jane claimed that the jilt she received from a lover in her youth seemed to be the root of all of her problems. Jane explained, If I had been a married woman, I probably would not have killed all of those people. I would have had my husband, my children and my home to take up my mind
Toppan died at Taunton State Hospital at the age of 81. Her body was disposed of in an unmarked grave in Mayflower Cemetery where most of the Taunton State Hospital's patients were buried. The exact marker is missing; her grave number, 984, is on record at the cemetery department.
There are claims that the restaurant is haunted, although the haunting doesn't have anything to do with the restaurant. On June 18 1907 Howard Poole (age 17) shot and killed his father George Poole in the living room of the Bay Street house. Howard told police that he shot his father because his father had gone stark-raving mad.
According to court documents, Howard claimed that he came upon his father chocking his mother to death, Howard tried to subdue his
father but was unsuccessful. Howard placed the pistol to his fathers head and discharged the gun in order to save his mother. George Poole died two days later at Morton Hospital. Howard was arrested, and was later acquitted of all
It is alleged that the ghost of George Poole is haunting the building, specifically the kitchen area.
McKinstrey House 1759
The McKinstrey House, which now serves as the rectory for St. Thomas Church was the scene of a murder. Dr. William
McKinstrey and his family lived in the 1759 house until a series of incidents occurred.
On June 4 1763 Dr McKinstrey's sister, Elizabeth (age 28), was
murdered by a black teenager named "Bristol" who was deluded into thinking that the act would gain his freedom. "Bristol" struck Elizabeth in the head with a flatiron, killing her instantly. He then dragged her body into the vegetable cellar. Bristol then fled to Newport RI Bristol's defense lawyer was Robert Treat Paine, who later became famous as a signer of the Declaration of Independence. "Bristol" was convicted and was hung. The old hanging ground was
located just north of Plain Cemetery on Broadway. Elizabeth is buried in the Plain Cemetery.
In 1779, the doctor's house and property was confiscated by the Massachusetts Legislature because of the doctor's Tory sympathies during the Revolutionary War. In 1828, his property was sold. The St. Thomas
Church was built on his property and remains there to this day.
Numerous claims of her spirit haunts the St. Thomas Rectory. Its claimed the ruffle of her shirt can be heard. In 1991, the Reverend Paul Tarrant, the Rector of St. Thomas Church told of hearing someone mysteriously dusting just outside his room at 4 a.m. He also told of how several personal items, including a pair of slippers mysteriously disappeared from his room.
Mayflower Hill Cemetery
Pearl E. French 1878-1882
This child-size rocking chair grave marks the grave of Pearl E French (1878-1882). The monument has an inscription "Her vacant chair". The chair is cement and does not
Local legend is that she died after falling backwards in a chair, some say she died in a fire while sitting in the chair she was told not to leave. Unfortunately the historic records debunk the legend. Pearl was the daughter of Edwin and Emma (Leonard) French. There is no documentation of a fatal fire in newspapers or fire department records. However the French residence no longer exists, it did in fact burn down and the land is now occupied by a church.
Pearl died of meningitis. The French family lived in Boston at the time due to Edwin Frenchs job, he had lived Taunton previously. The choice of an empty chair as Pearls grave marker can be explained by a popular poem about the heartbreak of childhood mortality published in a magazine in 1850 by Richard Coe, Jr. entitled "The Vacant Chair." Pearls grave marker reads "Her Vacant Chair" and is topped by a marble sculpture of a small Empire-style rocking chair. The monument was smashed by vandals in the 1980's and restored by Rex Monument in Taunton as a gift to the City.
Scroll Stone Monument (next to Pearl's Rocking Chair)
This monument marks the grave of Pearl French's cousin, Vera Lucille Johnson (1880-1884). Vera's parents were Alson T. Johnson and Ida E. (Leonard) Johnson. She, like Pearl, died of a meningitis
Inside the Mayflower Hill Cemetery is an area where more than 1015 people are buried in unmarked graves. These graves are just rows of numbers on decaying metal markers in a paupers field. The unknown were buried here from 1862 to 1962, the buried consists of indigent, stillborn babies, smallpox victims, and the insane from the Taunton State Hospital. The Taunton Cemetery Department has detailed records of the graves. According to the records, there babies buried with unrelated adults to save space, and occasionally bodies were removed to other cemeteries and those plots were used for newly deceased.
Fall River Cult Murders 1979-1980
On Oct 13 1979 the body of Doreen Levesque was discovered behind Diman Vocational High School in Fall River Mass. The victim has signs of sexual assault, skull was crushed and her hands were tied together. It was determined she was murdered on Oct 12 1979.
In Jan 1980 the body of Barbara Raposa (22) was discovered in a wooded area behind a local printing plant in Fall River Mass. The victim's skull has been crushed and her hands were tied together. Barbara Raposa's boyfriend, and the father of her child, Andre Maltais (44) had reported her missing.
During the investigation of Raposa's death, Maltais indicated that Raposa was a "devil worshiper". It was later learned that Maltais belonged with the same group of people. At this point during the investigation the name Robin Murphy surfaced.
Robin Murphy (17) was also the former boyfriend of Andre Maltais. Maltais and Murphy had ended a long running relationship so Maltais could be with Raposa. Maltais told investigators that he had a dream in which he hovered over the crime scene where Raposa's body was found. He was arrested and charged with murdering Raposa. Maltais continuously denied killing Raposa or any involement in
During the investigation,
On April 13 1980 A skull was located near "Family Beach" in Westport Mass. It was later identified as belonging to Karen Marsden. A search of the crime scene located some jewelry that belonged to Marsden. More items belonging to Marsden were located a half mile away. It was determined that Marsden was murdered on February 8 1980.
Robin Murphy agreed to turn states evidence in return for a lighter sentence. Murphy convinced the DA to
On July 19 2011 Murphy was arrested for probation violation. State Police, working a stake-out as part of an unrelated investigation in Revere MA, stopped the car Murphy was in and found Murphy in the presence of a convicted felon. As a condition of her parole, Murphy is prohibited from associating with known criminals. Murphy faced the Probation Board on March 13 2012. On Oct 18 2012 Murphy was sent back to prison for five (5) years for parole violation.
Murphy has now denied the testimony she gave in 1980 and now also denies her guilt in Marsden's murder, Drew maintains he is innocent. Murphy told the parole board that she lied at the trials of Drew and Maltais because she felt Drew was a danger to society and should be in prison and Maltais deserved to be punished because he sexually abused her.
Carl Drew was convicted of 1st degree murder of Karen Marsden. He has filed an appeal on the basis some of the witnesses changed their statements. Drew denies being present at the murder and he was convicted based solely on Murphy's statements. There was no physical evidence that Drew was present at any of the murders. He claims he is innocent and that Murphy was the one responsible. He also claims that his court appointed lawyer was ineffective. One final appeal is pending with the Massachusetts Supreme Court. The Massachusetts Superior Court rejected his appeal. Nov 10 2006 The Massachusetts Supreme Court denied the request.
No one was ever prosecuted for the murder of Doreen Levesque. It remains unsolved
UPDATE: May 19 2012
Bristol County District Attorney Sam Sutter said there is no plan to reopen a murder case linked to the cult killings tied to convicted felons Carl Drew and Robin Murphy. We are not looking at this case with a view towards reopening it, Sutter said. Ive had no discussions with anyone in my office about reopening this case. We are not, at this time, looking to reopen this case or thinking of reopening this case.
Levesques body was found beneath the bleachers at Diman Regional Vocational High School on Oct. 13, 1979. Drew was convicted of murdering Karen Marsden in 1981, just days after he was charged with Levesques murder. The case against Drew in Levesques death was dropped a year later.
The Rolling Rock weighs between 140 and 160 tons with a circumference of 58 feet, now sits idly on a pedestal at Eastern Avenue and County Street in Fall River. It was once at the center of a controversy as far back as 1912 in documents and perhaps longer, people who saw it as a nuisance and traffic menace argued it should be removed or destroyed while others argued to preserve it.
The issue was settled in 1930, when the Preservation
Committee prevailed. J. Edmund Estes, chairman of the Preservation Committee, had previously bought the land on which the glacial boulder sits and paid taxes on it until he was able to turn the site over to the municipal government on Nov. 22, 1930.
Skeleton in Armor
The mysterious skeleton in armor was found near Hartwell and Fifth Streets in 1831. The skelton was discovered Hannah Borden Cook, who was a young
housewife. Ms. Cook was putting some sand from a hill into a bucket, the hill
itself gave way and revealed a human skull. Ms. Cook returned with investigators who then unearthed the skeleton of a young man who had been placed in a sitting position in a crude grave about a foot beneath the
The body was in a double coverings of course, dark bark which
were taken away, revealing a brass breastplate, and a brass belt. The brass
belt consisted of brass tubes strung together and used for protection below
the breastplate. Laying beside the body was a quiver of arrows, which disintegrated in the air.
The skeleton and armor was transported to the Fall River Atheneum, a private library, located in the Town Hall. Sadly the Town Hall was destroyed by the Great Fire of 1843. All that remains are pieces of the brass belt. Two pieces of the brass tubes from the belt were donated to the Peabody Museum in 1887. The origin of the skeleton in unknown.
The Eagle restaurant dates back to 1929. For decades The Eagle Restaurant
served Chinese and American cuisine. It was known locally as one of the
In late 1929, Ng Quong, a chef, joined his brother Moy Thong and baker Toy Goon, founding the Eagle Restaurant at this site of the former Wilbur Hotel. The hotel burned with more than a dozen other buildings from the 1928 fire that ravaged the downtown. The owners used a $125,000 bank loan to build the building. About 1955 the owners
The architecture was modeled after the dining rooms on the Fall River Line ships, and was designed by Maude Darling Parlin, a native of Westport Mass. Interesting side note, Parlin was the first woman graduate of assachusetts Institute of Technology in 1910.
The Eagle closed in the 1960s and was vacant for nearly 30 years. In 1990 the restaurant went through
a $1-million renovation and reopened. In 2002 the restaurant closed again due to a failed attempt at a liquor license.
In 2008 the restaurant has re-opened with new owners.
Ice House - North Watuppa Pond
The Watuppa Ponds are two large spring-fed ponds located in Fall River and Westport, Massachusetts. Watuppa is a native word meaning "place of boats". The two ponds were originally one body of water, connected by a narrow rocky straight near what is now the boundary between Fall River and Westport. Together, the ponds have an overall north-south length of about 7.5 miles, and an average east-west width of about a mile. The ponds are drained by the Quequechan River, which flows through the center of Fall River from South Watuppa Pond to Mount Hope Bay.
The North Watuppa Pond has a surface area of 1,805 acres. It is the second-largest naturally occurring body of water within Massachusetts. It has been used as the City of Fall River's primary drinking water supply since 1873, when the Fall River Waterworks was built on its western shore. It drains into South Watuppa Pond by a small channel at its southern end, in an area known as the Narrows. The northeastern shore of North Watuppa Pond, known as Copicut Reservation, is sparsely developed, and contains a vast area of protected land as part of the city's water supply. Public access to North Watuppa Pond restricted. All activities including fishing, boating, swimming or skating are strictly prohibited.
North Watuppa Pond once contained several ice houses along its shore, beginning in the 1840s. The granite walls of one of these ice houses, built in 1864 by Robert Cook and William Durfee, still exist on a peninsula near the end of New Boston Road, at what was once known as Interlachen, the estate of Spencer Borden, founder of the Fall River Bleachery. Interlachen once contained a large mansion, gardens, horse pastures and a network of bridle paths. The house was demolished after the city acquired the land by eminent domain for the protection of the water supply. The foundation is all that remains of the Borden mansion today, and the land has mostly reverted to woods.
The South Watuppa Pond has a surface area of 1,551 acres, and is the third-largest naturally occurring body of water within Massachusetts. South Watuppa Pond is a popular fishing area with boat access from a city-managed public boat ramp located off the end of Jefferson Street, in an area known as "Dave's Beach".
The Quequechan, Wampanoag for "falling water", flows from the South Watuppa Pond to the Taunton River. The river is calm until it reaches the downtown area where it turns into rapids. The Quequechan originally contained eight (8) small waterfalls. The upper portion of the river was dammed to provide additional waterpower and water storage for the mills.
By 1880 the water quality of the river began to be an issue. During periods of low water the area known as the "flats" became covered in muck consisting of industrial and human waste.
In 1913 the Massachusetts Legislature established the Watuppa Ponds and Quequechan River Commission to investigate and draft a solution to the problems. In 1915 a Boston-based civil engineering firm provided a lengthy report and designs for a permanent solution.
During the 1960's I-195 was being constructed a portion of the river from Plymouth Ave to the waterfront was redirected into a series of underground culverts passing under Route 195.
In 2009 the city
"Crone of the Quequechan"
A crone is a stock character in folklore and fairy tale, an old woman. In stories, she is disagreeable, malicious, or sinister in manner, often with magical or supernatural associations that can make her either helpful or obstructing. The Crone is also an archetypal figure, a Wise Woman. The word "crone" is a less common synonym for "old woman," and is more likely to appear in reference to traditional narratives than in contemporary everyday usage.
The Crone of the Quequechan was reportedly haunting a portion of the Quequechan River decades before the Borden murders in 1892. According to The Herald News on April 3, 1845, an old crone who lived in a hut on the Quequechan was run out of town by angry mobs who accused her of being the mistress of the pirate Captain Kidd. According to the legend, an apparition of the old crone still haunts that area of the city.
She lived in a rickety log cabin high above the great falls of the river; she was the Crone of the Quequechan.
Although its origins are lost in time, the tale first appeared in print in the April 3, 1845 issue of the Fall River Weekly News.
The hut was on the southern bank of the river near where the Massasoit mill stood. It was reported that on dark stormy nights red or blue flames and strange noises had been seen and heard by passers-by.
According to legend, on one particularly December night a column of sparks and flame was seen escaping from the hut's small chimney. The villagers became curious and gathered at the store of Peter Leonard, on the east side of what is now North Main Street. The group considered several courses of action: Leonard himself said, "I propose that we take the Bible and move in a body on the spot." Welcome Brownell suggested taking guns and other weapons and attacking the hut. Stephen Davis, "the noisiest braggart of
The door of the hut flew open, and there stood the old crone, bent half double with age, her face disfigured with irregular streaks of smut and her blood-shot eyes flashing fire as she gazed on the motley group within. Her large boney hands, foul with sore and accumulated filth, were thrust forward, and her long hooked fingers, incessantly in motion, seemed eager to seize whoever or whatever might come in her way.
"Who talks of throwing me or mine into the Quequechan?" said the crone, She looked around the room and scowling horribly as her eyes fell on each individual of the group in turn. She made four or five turns, each time approaching near and nearer the place occupied by Welcome Brownell in front of the great fireplace. With the quickness of thought Brownell drew back, raised his arm and planted a deadly blow, with his heavy iron fist, directly between the eyes on the lower edge of her forehead." The crone fell to the floor as still as death, Brownell thought he'd killed her. A few moments later, to the relief of Brownell and the entire group, she sprung to her feet very much alive.
The crone then shouted "Laugh imp of the fiery world! But know that my revenge is certain and speedy," as she ran towards the door snatching an infant from the arms of Mrs. Brownell. The old crone raced across the small bridge over the river, up the opposite bank, and stood on the edge of the precipice overhanging the falls near her still illuminated hut.
"Not another foot nearer!" shouted the crone, holding the shrieking child at arms-length over the dashing current below - one step and the heir of Brownell never breathes again." The group was paralyzed with fear, and expected the hag to carry out her threat at any moment. As the villagers stood watching helplessly, an athletic young man named Lot Lee was stealthily making his way over the open ground toward the rear of the hut. With her back towards him the crone did not detect his approach and he was able to conceal himself around the corner of the cabin.
Lee made a single bound forward and, seizing the crone with one hand, and the child with the other. They bound the crone with rope and quickly turned their attention to the hut. After several tries a heavy rock finally succeeded in smashing in the door and Lee dragged the crone into the single room followed by the entire group.
Satisfied that nothing valuable was in the hut the men prepared to set the torch to it but stopped when the hag cried out in protest. As this was going on, Stephen Davis found a small box hidden in the crones bed of straw. Seeing this, the crone sprang forward, loosening her bond, and fell at the feet of Davis.
The crone made no effort to escape, but seated herself upon the rickety stool, which still remained undisturbed in the center of the room, and took from the box a small package, which she handed without uttering a word to Lot Lee.
He opened it and read as follows: 'Boston, June ye 10, 1700
Mary I am in the iron grasp of the king's bloodhounds! Take care of thyself. KID'
Every eye was instantly turned on the old crone, who still sat on the stool, intent on the effect which the reading of this note might produce. 'And you are"¦' said Lee. 'The last mistress of Kid the pirate!' she shouted, snatching the note from the hands of Lee and walking deliberately out of the hut.
No effort was made to detain her; each individual stood riveted to the spot. She mounted the riding ground on the south of her cabin, paused a moment, as if to take last look in her strange habitation, then dashed off into the high road leading to Newport. This was the last ever heard or seen of the Crone of the Quequechan!"
Note: No one knows for sure whether the tale is fact, fiction, or a combination of both. But history shows that the notorious pirate Captain William Kidd, was captured in Boston in 1699, taken to London in 1700, and hanged for his crimes on May 23, 1701.
National Historical Register 1983
The club was organized on Nov 22 1894 by a group of nine (9) men. At their first meeting it was decided to purchase property to use as a clubhouse. They purchased the 1861 William Mason Estate on No. Main Street in Fall River on Dec 19 1894.
The house was completely renovated and enlarged to its present
size. In 1910 the Dining Room was expanded and the Billiard Room (now known as the (Mt Hope Room) was enlarged.
In Jun 1919 The club purchased land next door, after renovations and additions the "Ladies Annex" opened in Jun 1920. This building is now known as the "Priscilla Room". Some of the original furnishings are still in use, such as the grandfather clock at the main entrance which is dated Jul 1 1895. On Feb 18 2012 The club closed.
New owners have taken and after months of work unearthing the architectural beauty of the former William Mason estate at 304 N. Main St., they are planning a reopening on Nov 12 2012. The two-lane bowling alley has been restored which is where East Coasts oldest bowling league started in 1911.
The club has been reported to be haunted, solid proof has yet to be presented. Some past employees have claimed the activity maybe from a former prostitute from a longtime ago held at the club for the enjoyment of the men.
Borden Murders 1848 96 Second Street
Prior to the famous "Borden Murders" in 1892, The were other "Borden Murders" at 96 Second Street. Lizzie Bordens great uncle Lawdwick Borden (1812-1874), who was the brother of Abraham Bowen Borden, was the Andrew Bordens father. Lwdwick had four (4) wives over the span of his life; Maria (Briggs) Borden (1811-1838), Eliza (Darling) Borden (1811-1848), Eliza (Chace) Borden (1813-1864), Ruhama (Crocker) Borden (1814-1879). Ruhama Crocker Borden is listed as Lawdwicks widow when he died in 1874.
Lawdwick Bordens second wife Eliza Darling Bordon did the unimaginable. She killed two (2) of her three (3) children then took her own life. It is believed she suffered from post-partum depression. They Borden's lived in a small cape-cod style home next door to the Charles Trafton House in 1848. The Charles Tafton House would later be purchased by Andrew Borden in 1872. Eliza Borden slit her throat with a razor after dropping her children in the cellar cistern. The sole surviving child was Maria Borden (Hinckley) (1844-1909). These two (2) children drowned - Holder S. Borden (1847-1848) and Eliza Ann Borden age 2
Lizzie A. Borden 1860-1927
Lizzie Andrew Borden was a spinster and the central suspect in the murders of her step-mother and father on August 4 1882. Lizzie was arrested and charged on August 11 1892 in the deaths. A Grand Jury indictment was handed down on December 2 1892 and her trial was scheduled for June 1893 in New Bedford. On June 20 1893 at 3:42PM Lizzie was acquitted of all charges, and noone else was ever charged. The murders are unsolved.
Post Trial: Lizzie and Emma Borden (sister) moved into a new house that Lizzie named "Maplecroft". The sisters settled all claims against them from Abby's side of the family, giving Abby Borden's family members everything they wanted in order to avoid further lawsuits. Because it was proven that Abby died before Andrew, all of her estate legally went to Andrew, with Andrew's estate going to his daughters. The settlement reached between the Borden sisters and Abby's two sisters was substantial.
In June 1905, Lizzie and Emma Borden became estranged over differences in their lifestyles. Emma moved out of the house to live with her close friend Alice Lydia Buck. After the separation from her sister, Borden began using the name "Lizbeth A. Borden", rather than "Lizzie".
Following the surgical removal of her
Lizzie Borden never married, and her will, left $30,000 to the Fall River Animal Rescue League, $500 in perpetual trust for the care of her father's grave. Much of her wealth was transferred to her cousin Grace H. Howe, and her closest friend Helen Leighton. Nine days later, on June 10, 1927, her sister Emma died
Borden House 92 Second Street
Andrew Jackson Borden 1822-1892
wife #1 Sarah Anthony Borden 1823-1863
wife #2 Abby Durfee Gray Borden 1828-1892
Children with wife #1:
Emma Lenore Borden 1851-1927 Alice Esther Borden 1856-1858 Lizzie Andrew Borden 1860-1927
Bridget Sullivan 1869-1948
Bridget Sullivan was employed as a maid for the Borden Family. She was was working in the Borden house in Fall River Mass. at the time of the murders Abby and Andrew Borden on August 4 1892. According to trial transcripts Sullivan testified she prepared a meal of 2-day old mutton for the Bordens and then was sent to by Abby Borden to wash the windows. After finishing the windows in the heat, she retired to her room on the third floor attic to rest, as she felt ill. At 11:10AM Lizzie called to her "Maggie come quick ! Father's dead, somebody came in and killed him." It was Sullivan that discovered the body of Abby Borden dead in her bedroom. Sullivan provided key testimony at the inquest, preliminary hearing and final trial of Lizzie Borden, who was later acquitted of all charges.
Sullivan was born in Ireland. She emigrated to the USA on May 24 1886 arriving in New York aboard the SS Republic. She began work as a maid in Newport, Rhode Island then moved to South Bethlehem Pennsylvania and lived with relatives. In 1888 Sullivan moved to Fall River Mass and worked as a cook for Lawyer Charles Reed, who resided in the Highland section of the city. In 1889 she then moved to the residence of Clinton Remington, also in the Highland section of the city. In November 1889 Sullivan began her employment with the Borden Family.
The Borden home was 2-blocks from the Irish neighborhood, Fourth Street Coraigh "Corky Row". Sullivan denied having any claims to the Irish neighborhood, although many of the Irish from that same neighborhood came from the same region in Ireland.
After the trial in 1893, Sullivan returned to Ireland with the help of Lizzie and Emma Borden. Sullivan later moved back to the USA and settled in Anaconda Montana, and in 1896 became the maid for Attorney George Winston (1861-1936). She remained employed by Winston until his death, never mentioning the murders in Massachusetts.
In 1905, Sullivan married John Sullivan (1868-1939) who was a copper smelting furnace man. In 1910 they resided at 412 Monroe St., then later moved to 701 Alder St where they lived for many years. After John Sullivan's death in 1939 she moved to Butte Montana and resided there until her death.
Bridget and her husband John are buried in Mount Olivet Cemetery in Anaconda Montana.
Maplecroft - Home of Lizzie Borden (Post Trial)
After being acquitted of the murders of her father and step-mother, Lizzie move dout of 92 Second Street and moved into 306 French Street "Maplecroft". Lizzie Borden resided at Maplecroft from 1894 to her death in 1927. Lizzie's funeral was held at Maplecroft.
After Lizzies death the house was sold to a few different owners, and in April 2012 it has been placed on the market, with an asking price of $650,000.
The house is described as 14-room residence with seven bedrooms and two-and-a-half bathrooms. It contains a grand entry foyer, two sunrooms, seven fireplaces, original parquet floors, tin ceilings and mahogany moldings.
School Houses in Assonet
Village School : In 1794, William A. Leonard, a lawyer from Raynham Mass, erected a large office building. Its believed it remained an attorney's office until about 1830. The building was used later by the Assonet Academy, a private high school. In 1854 it was purchased by a School House Committee, and three years later the Town bought it for the village elementary school. It continued as the Assonet School until 1950.
In 1906 it was remodeled in the Colonial Revival style, orienting the entry to face the street rather than the church. In the 1980's and 1990's the building was used for municipal purposes. The building is currently used as storage.
The building is a two story building, with two rooms on the upper floor. The lower floor is a two-room cellar, and partially underground. The interior of the building is divided in the center, each room has chalkboards running along the walls. The building has no plumbing and a woodstove provides heat.
Currently the town leaders are having discussions on what to do with this building and the very poor condition. Preservation or demolition? In 2011 the Freetown Historical Commission is pursing two grants, one for emergency repairs and one for renovations in an effort to save this building.
In August 2012 the Town received a $30,000 grant from the Massachusetts Historical Commission to replace a portion of the roof, roof rafters, ceiling joints and front stairs. Town meeting also approved an additional $30,000.
South School : The South School operated from 1869-1950. It was a 3-room schoolhouse for grades 1-8, in later years grades 3-6. After the school closed the building was used as the American Legion Hall. The building is currently unoccupied and hasn't been used for years, but is still owned by the American Legion. The American Legion Post 425 is working on revitalizing the building.
In August of 2008 the Freetown Cemetery Commission obtained a map, prior to Route 24 construction, showing a previously unknown cemetery. This cemetery was located across the street from the Meeting House on South Main Street. Research has now determined the cemetery is where the current parking lot for the American Legion Hall. It is now believed this previously unknown Quaker cemetery predates the Quaker Cemetery on North Main Street. The boundaries of the cemetery and the graves aren't clearly marked.
History of the Perron family and the Harrisville Haunting (true story behind the movie The Conjuring)
Ed and Lorraine Warren had been investigating paranormal activity since the early 1950’s. During their decades-long careers, they investigated over 4,000 hauntings, including the well-known Amityville Haunting where they were recognized as the first psychic investigators to step onto the scene. The 2013 film, The Conjuring, was based on their terrifying investigation of the Perron family and their haunted farmhouse in Harrisville, Rhode Island. Known variously as the “Harrisville Haunting” or the “Perron Family Haunting”, the Warrens would say that their investigation of the Perron family’s haunting was their “most intense, compelling, disturbing and significant investigation” of their careers. Roger Perron, his wife Carolyn, and their five children Andrea (Annie), Nancy, Christine, Cindy, and April endured a decade of torture from the spirits that occupied their country home.
Note: The story behind the movie The Conjuring 2 was based on a different case, The Enfield Poltergeist haunting.
The Harrisville Haunting – the hauntings begin
Seeking to move the children to a quieter home life in the country, Roger and Carolyn Perron purchased their dream home in the winter of 1970. TheOld Arnold Estate was 200 acres in size and one of the original plantations in the area surveyed by colonist John Smith in 1680 and deeded to Roger Williams for the formation of the state of Rhode Island. Located on Round Top Road in Harrisville, Rhode Island, the 10-room “lovely, charming” country home was built in 1736 on a beautiful plot of land with plenty of room for their five children, all girls, to roam about and play. Nancy and Christine Perron shared one room, Cindy and April another, and Andrea had a room all to herself – except on nights when, as Andrea put it, the sisters “came crawling into bed with her, trembling and crying in terror”.
The Perron family began to notice something was amiss from the first day they stepped into their lovely new home. Later it would be learned that eight generations of families had lived, and died, in the Old Arnold Estate including Mrs. John Arnold who at the age of 93, hung herself from the rafters of the barn. Other unfortunate losses of life on the estate included several suicides (hangings, poisonings), the rape and unsolved murder of eleven-year-old girl Prudence Arnold (later presumed to have been murdered by a farm hand), two sudden drownings in the creek located near the house, and four men who mysteriously froze to death on the land. It did not take long before the Perrons’ understood why the previous seller advised them on the day that they moved into the house, “leave the lights on at night.”The many friendly ghosts
At first the ghosts, or demon spirits as the Warren investigators thought of them, were harmless. Described variously as opaque or somewhat solid in appearance, there were many spirits present in the old homestead. One ghost smelled of flowers while another would gently kiss the girls goodnight in their beds every night. Another appeared to be a small, young male that the girls would watch, mesmerized, push toy cars about the room propelled by an invisible hand.
One apparition, presumably a female ghost, was a welcome presence in the home. The Perron’s would often hear sweeping noises coming from the kitchen. When they entered the room, they would find the broom had been moved to a different spot in the room with a neat pile of newly swept dirt sitting in the middle of the floor, waiting to be deposited in the trashcan.
“Manny” was another spirit that the young Perron children loved. Manny was believed to be the spirit of Johnny Arnold, who had committed suicide by hanging himself in the attic of the house in the 1700’s. Manny would appear before the children, often standing nearby quietly watching the children going about their daily activities, a crooked smile on his face, amused at the children’s’ play. If eye contact was made with Manny, he would withdraw from sight just as suddenly as he had appeared.
In addition to ghostly entities, the Perrons’ witnessed many other odd and unexplained phenomena. Beds would levitate several inches off of the floor, telephone handsets would hover in the air and slam down onto the phone base when someone entered the room, and various household objects would glide about the house on their own. Often chairs would be pulled suddenly from beneath an unsuspecting guest and pictures would tumble from the walls. The Perrons’ once reported seeing an orange ooze blood and a wall dissolve into nothingness.Some spirits, aka demons, were not so nice
Not all the ghosts at Harrisville were welcome visitors. Some would yank the girls’ legs and hair during the middle of the night. Others would loudly bang the front door of the home with such force that the entire house would shake. Doors would slam shut on their own while others would stay frozen in place, unable to be shut no matter how much force was applied to them. One entity in the home routinely kept the family awake as it continually cried out in the night, “Mama! Maaaama!” while another apparition tortured 8-year-old Cindy telling her over and over, “there are seven dead soldiers buried in the wall”. One of the Perron’s recalled a small, delicate spirit, appearing to be about 4 years old, roaming the house crying, calling for her mother.
One of the spirits was so evil, the Perron family to this day will not disclose what it did to them. Andrea Perron, who authored a book about their experiences in the home (House of Darkness House of Light), hinted that the unmentionable spirit may have molested some of the young girls. When asked about this spirit during an interview, she avoided the question, telling the reporter:
The baddest of them all – Bathsheba Sherman
“Let’s just say there was a very bad male spirit in the home – with five little girls.”
The most horrid ghost in the home targeted Mrs. Perron specifically. Known as Bathsheba, the entity was thought to have been the ghost of Bathsheba Sherman, a practicing Satanist and witch who had lived in the home in the early 19th century and died there after hanging herself from a tree behind the barn. The Perrons’ were not a religious family. Weak in faith, it was theorized to be a primary factor for the particularly violent and active nature of Bathsheba’s treatment of the Perron family. Credence to this theory is strengthened when it was learned that the only previous resident not to report any odd occurrences was a local minister. Lorraine Warren explained was this was important:
“You only have your faith as your protection. I always had my faith. God protecting me allowed me to do this. At that particular time, the Perrons’ did not have religion – and it was very dangerous.”
Bathsheba was a vile, hideous creature described as having a face “similar to a desiccated bee hive” covered in cobwebs with no real human features other than vermin crawling from crevices etched into the wrinkled skin of her face. Her head, round and gray, sat “leaning off to one side” as if her neck had been broken and an evil stench permeated the room when she was present.
Bathsheba Thayer was born in 1812 in Rhode Island and married fellow Rhode Islander Judson Sherman on March 10, 1844. When alive Bathsheba had lived a life of solitude, an outcast of the community she lived in after being accused of killing her young baby as a sacrifice to Satan. The baby’s body was found to have been impaled in the head with a sharp object. Lacking evidence, the case was eventually dropped. Bathsheba was believed to have had three other children, none of whom survived past the age of four. Her children may not have been her only victims. Bathsheba was also known to have brutalized the staff often starving and beating them for minor infractions. When Bathsheba died on May 25, 1885, the coroner wrote that he had never seen anything like it – her emaciated body had eerily solidified, seemingly turned to stone.
It was easily recognized that Bathsheba had her favorites in the household. She tortured Carolyn Perron (one of the daughters, Cindy, was often a frequent target) while lusting after Mr. Perron. During their stay, equipment in the home frequently broke. Roger Perron would take the broken machinery down to the cellar to repair. While working, he often felt Bathsheba touching him, gently caressing his neck or running her hands down his back. But while longing for Mr. Perron, Bathsheba abhorred Carolyn. It was clear that Bathsheba wanted Carolyn out of the house.
“Mrs. Perron said she awoke before dawn one morning to find an apparition by her bed: the head of an old woman hanging off to one side over an old gray dress. There was a voice reverberating, ‘Get out. Get out. I’ll drive you out with death and gloom.’”
In the beginning, Bathsheba’s treatment of Carolyn was merely “cruel”. Carolyn would be pinched, slapped, or have objects thrown about her. Her greatest fear, fire, was soon discovered by the entity and used repeatedly to strike terror in her as Bathsheba banged torches against her bed while demanding that she leave the home immediately.
As time progressed, the attacks grew harsher. In one instance, Carolyn was lying on the couch when she felt a sharp pain in the calf of her leg. She examined her leg and found a large, bleeding puncture wound that looked “as if a large sewing needle had impaled her skin”. Later, after threats failed to motivate Carolyn to leave, Bathsheba took a different tack and attempted to invade Carolyn from within. Believing that Carolyn had been possessed, the Perrons’ called in psychic investigators Ed and Lorraine Warren to assist them.Ed and Lorraine Warren offer to assist
Ed and Lorraine Warren are often thought of as “the original paranormal investigators”. For decades they had helped investigate hauntings and demonic possessions across the country. In many of their cases, they were able to convince the Vatican to provide exorcisms of the spirits that they found. The Perrons’ heard of the Warrens after one of their many public speaking engagements and pleaded with them to help save their mother. By this time, it was believed that Bathsheba has physically possessed Carolyn Perron, an assessment that Ed Warren could not disagree with.
Daughter Andrea Perron remembered the night the exorcism took plae:
“The night I thought I saw my mother die was the most terrifying night of all. She spoke in a voice we had never heard before and a power not of this world threw her twenty feet into another room.”
Unfortunately, the true story of the Perron family’s haunting ended differently than The Conjuring movie portrayed. In reality, the Warrens were not successful in ridding the Perron family of their hell-bent tormentors. Carolyn Perron recalled that “dreadful night” and explained that even though the Warrens’ intentions were good, they essentially found that things “got worse around them”. As the situation spun out of control, Roger Perron demanded that the Warrens leave the premises immediately.The Perrons’ flee their haunted home
The Perrons’ soon learned that every occupant (with the exception of a local minister and his family) of the old Arnold Estate had reported supernatural phenomena on the homestead. In fact, the owner just prior to the Perrons’ had hired a contractor to renovate the house. The contractor had been busily renovating the home when he suddenly stopped work and fled. It was reported that he had left the home screaming leaving behind his tools and his car. The owners never moved in and the home sat vacant for several years before the Perrons’ discovered it was on the market.
Despite their unfortunate circumstances, financial constraints kept the Perrons’ rooted in place for 10 long years. Unable to flee, they endured the inconvenience of the “friendly” spirits and the torture the malevolent ghosts bestowed upon them. Finally, in 1980, at the insistence of Carolyn, the Perrons’ were financially able to vacate the home. They moved to Georgia.